Create a homework box!
Now that back to school supplies are everywhere. It’s the perfect time to pick up and create a homework box. It could be a tote, box, basket, or crate. The purpose is to have everything your kids need to do their homework all in one spot.
Add things like pencils, a pencil sharpener, erasers, crayons or colored pencils, markers, calculator, index cards, tape, ruler, paper, highlighter and post it notes. You might even add a timer. Your kids will have everything they need, will not spend time looking for and putting off doing their homework.
While you are at it you might as well set up an after school snack zone. Fill it with Mom approved snacks your kids can grab when they get home and are starving.
A shoe organizer with pockets is a great way to set up a snack zone. You can hang it on the back of your pantry door. By placing Mom approved snacks in the zone your child can reach. Older kids snacks can be placed in the higher pockets.
Next have a discussion with your children about homework expectations.
- When they are to do homework? Do they get a certain amount of playtime are there scheduled breaks. This is where the timer will come in handy. You know how long you kid can work before they need to blow off some energy.
- Snack before starting homework or after? If you are giving them a sugar snack you know they are most likely going to need to burn off the sugar energy. When did they have lunch? My husband is a little bit crabby when he is hungry and he is a little bit hungry all the time. ❤ So, I always have snacks and you know a hungry person can be a cranky person.
- Where are they to do their homework? Chose a place with minimal distractions. (Like TV and toys.)
- Where is the homework box kept? Remind them that if they use the last of anything to let you know so it can be replaced. Don’t forget when you open the last package is a great time to add it to the running shopping list.
- After the homework is completed where should your child put it for Mom or Dad to check it? I’m going to suggest you have them put it in a folder in their backpack. Once you have checked their homework they can return their backpack to the designated spot you have near the door.
If you would like to have a homework routine checklist
a whimsical life has a great one. A Whimsical Life Homework Routine Remember if your children know what is expected and they know they have a checklist there should be less nagging.
So are you excited that the kids are going back to school or are you sad?
Have a great day!
If you like what I have to say feel free to re-blog. Help yourself, help me and help others.
#homework #school #backtoschool #organized #snacks #family #kids #parents