Today our news is dominated by wildfires.
I was born and raised in Oklahoma which you many not know but has almost every peril known to happen. Tornados, wind, hail from pea to softball size, rain, sometimes we get the remains of tropical storms so we get floods, droughts (You may have heard of a little tale by the name of the Dust Bowl, it really happened) wildfires pushed by high winds and now….earthquakes!! Yes, they get them all.
Well, this got me to thinking about the, what if? What would you do in case of an emergency? What if you had to evacuate your home? What would you take? Would you be able to locate your important document or would you have to waste valuable time?
I want to help you get organized for the in case of an emergency.
First and foremost
You, your family and your pets. Everything else is replaceable. Really it is. No seriously, your life is not worth your mother’s wedding ring. Your Mom would agree with me.
So if you have time…After you have secured your family and pets.
- People and Pets!
- Medications: for you and your pet;
- Cell Phone. Bonus if you grab a charger;
- Wallet or purse or both;
- List of phone and account numbers for all your creditors, especially your insurance company; This might be a good thing to keep on your phone.
- Important identifications/documentation such as passports, birth certificates, social security cards; Suggestion: Keep snap photos of your passports or other photo identification then keep this on your phone.
- Cash or extra credit cards;
- Vital computer hardware electronics like a laptop or a hard drive;
- Irreplaceable valuables; Remember unless it’s breathing it’s replaceable. Living breathing things can’t and are not worth risking your life.
- Pet leash and carrier; They will be frightened and need a safe secure place to be contained.
I have talked about creating a binder for our important papers. This binder stays in a fireproof box. Easy to put your hands on at a moments notice.
So this is what goes in the Important Papers Binder:
For us, important papers are birth certificates, marriage license, passports, social security card, wills and trust documents other licenses and certificates. Plus a list of phone and account numbers for all your creditors, especially your insurance company and extra credit cards Additionally, we have a DVD of the inside of our home. (This is very helpful if you have to replace your contents.)
Boy Scouts are not the only ones who need to “Be Prepared!” So if you have 5 minutes what would you grab? Do you know where your imporant papers are?
#disaster #prepare #gokit #organized #family #wildfire #tornado #evacuate