This is a question presented to me when I read the book, “Who moved my Cheese?” By Spencer Johnson
If you haven’t read it I recommend you do.
The book takes you into the life of the four characters. Sniff and Scurry are mice and Hem and Haw are little people. They are all searching for Cheese.
Cheese is what you want in life. It could be your job, your family relationships, and peace of mind or what ever makes you happy. Or actually what you think will make you happy.
Sniff, Scurry, Hem and Haw all live in a maze and they look for cheese. Cheese is food and their source of happiness. We follow them as their cheese runs out and they are forced to make changes.
We each live in a maze and we all have our cheese. But how we deal with change is what defines us.
Sniff and Scurry are the mice. They are instinctual. When change happens they sniff out the change and scurry off acting thus adapting.
Hem is very resistant to change. He denies the obvious. Haw on the other hand takes some time to accept change but learns to adapt in time and understands change can be good.
So “Who Moved the Cheese” is only 96 page book. It is funny but profound and insightful, teaching us that to succeed in life we need to:
- Anticipate change.
- Adapt quickly.
- Enjoy change.
- Be ready to change quickly, again and again.
- Having Cheese makes you happy.
- The more important your Cheese is to you, the more you want to hold on to it.
- If you do not change, you can become extinct.
- Ask yourself “What would I do if I weren’t afraid?”
- Smell the Cheese often so you know when it is getting old.
- Movement in a new direction helps you find New Cheese.
- When you move beyond your fear, you feel free.
- Imagining myself enjoying New Cheese, even before I find it, leads me to it.
- The quicker you let go of old cheese, the sooner you find New Cheese.
- It is safer to search in the maze than remain in a cheeseless situation.
- Old beliefs do not lead you to New Cheese.
- When you see that you can find and enjoy New Cheese, you change course.
- Noticing small changes early helps you adapt to the bigger changes that are to come.
- Read the Handwriting on the Wall
- Change happens. They keep moving the Cheese.
- Move with the Cheese and enjoy it!
Spencer Johnson, Who Moved the Cheese.
Most of us can identify with one of the characters and will find that at different stages in our live we have been more than one of the characters. If you are not the character you want to be you can change.
I am absolutely a Scurry. But a little Sniff is always good.
So Remember Change Happens.
They keep moving the Cheese.
What would you attempt to do it you knew you could not fail? I started a blog and put my writing out there for anyone to read.
What would you do?
Photos from Unsplash.com
#adapt #changeisgood #change #dadlife #happy #newpost #organized #overwhelmed #momlife #priorities #Seizetheday