Did I leave the iron on?
My Mom would ask when we were about 100 miles aware from home.
Now I ask, did you close the garage door? When we are just leaving the neighborhood.
You laugh but one time we did not close our garage door. We were gone all weekend. Thank goodness we lived in a neighborhood when most of our neighbors were firemen or police. So they closed our door and left us a note. We joked that if something went wrong on our street all we needed to do was run out side and yell 911. We would have all the assistance we needed in minutes.
To save you from having to turn around or worry I have compiled my top ten “don’t forget” things to take care of at home before you go.
- Cancel your newspaper – nothing says no one is home like papers in the drive.
- Place a delivery hold on your mail. You can do this online.
- I suggest a timer for lights and a radio. Lights and noise will make it appear that you are home.
- Remove your spare hide-a-key. We give ours to my best friend.
- If you have a trusted friend or neighbor let them know you will be gone, where you will be and ask them to keep an eye on your house. If you normally park a vehicle outside ask them to park a car in your drive and periodically check doors, rear of house, and see if any unexpected packages or door hang tags were left. If you leave you vehicle in the drive. Remove the garage door opener and all valuables.
- Do NOT post vacation plans on social media! Remind your children of this too. Wait until you get home to post your fabulous photos and memories.
- Notify your credit card company that you will be traveling so they will not put a hold on your card assuming it was stolen.
- Use your cell phone or camera to take photos of you credit cards, passport, the labels on all prescription medicine bottles and anything else that you think you might need. Use digital or paper copies which ever you are comfortable with.
- If you have pets that your are not taking with you ~ do not forget about them. Make arrangements for their care. I know you would never neglect your pets.
- If possible load your suitcases and such in the garage. You don’t really need to advertise that you will be leaving.
These are just a few tips. There is more information from the Protected Home. I have included a link to their checklist. http://www.protectedhome.com/checklist-for-leaving-home.html
GO have a great time. Post your pictures when you get back we can chat and laugh about the memories you have made. I’ll be here when you get back.
#vacation #preparation #tips #momslife #parenting #dadslife